Planet ocean

Planet Ocean on Facebook  Planet Ocean on Instagram  Planet Ocean on Youtube

We were anchoring in front of a shopping mall in the south of Langakawi, where we stocked up on food. We have been there a few times so we know our way around. The next morning we decided to sail up on the west side of the island. Instead of going north again towards the world heritage site Georgetown, where we already have been three times, we first sail south and then along the west side towards the north. Because of adverse current and lack of wind we didn't get far. Sure we could start the generator and use up a lot of diesel to be faster with our motors – but what for, we have enough time. So we only sail a short way and anchor in the SW of the island. In the evening we can hear loud breathing sounds very close to our boat. Probably dolphins but we can't see anything.
During a strong rain shower around 5 am we wake up because we hear funny noises and suddenly somebody is calling us. A fisherman managed to wrap his net around our rudder blade as well as our anchor chain. Together we are able to finally free the net in the pouring rain. Although the net itself doesn't look so good anymore. Afterward we pay some money for a new fishing net because we don't want to fight with the fisherman. Apparently the fine nylon mesh can't be repaired – cheers for the throwaway society!
On the next day we sail through lots of fishing boats and nets past a wonderful mangrove forest and anchor in the northwest of Penang. There is one resort after the other on the beautiful sandy beaches. But the murky-brown water full of jellyfish doesn't look very inviting for a swim, we would not want to stay for a holiday.
In the afternoon a group of pink dolphins (Sousa chinensis) is visiting us, jumping and hunting around our boat. The older they get, the more pink they are. Especially the tail, the fin and the belly. Other than that they look a lot like bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) but are generally very shy. Until now we only saw them from far away in the national park of Koh Tarutao, Thailand, and Koh Phetra, also in Thailand.
The next leg towards Langkawi takes one day and night because there is not enough wind (mostly on the head) and lots of rain. We reach the so called Fjord Anchorage in Langkawi in the morning. This anchorage is protected of waves and for the next few days the forecast looks like a lot of wind, waves and rain. Regrettably this beautiful scenery also forms a nice funnel for the wind and during the night our anchor slips about 200 m through the muddy bottom towards the rocks because of a squall with over 40 knots! Finally the anchor holds - we had a narrow escape. So the next day we leave as soon as possible.
After high waves and sailing close hauled all the way we reach Telaga harbour in the afternoon, where we will stay for a time. Also the next night we had some squalls with at least 30 knots of wind, but this time our anchor stays put and we can finally catch some sleep and rest after those windy experiences. The bad weather should be over as soon as the taifun, which is currently developing between Phuket and the Similan Islands in Thailand, starts heading north towards the Andaman Islands.

Pink Dolphin - Sousa chinensis
Pink Dolphin - Sousa chinensis
FAD - Fish Aggregating Device
Telaga Bay